alfs iso

Douglas J. Hunley root at hunley.homeip.net
Thu May 10 09:32:06 PDT 2001

On Thursday 10 May 2001 08:08, Bryan Dumm babbled:

> lynx/links/w3m was considered, just not added this time. What is everyone's
> favorite?

w3m

> Yea I built it with a i686 base at the moment. I tried i586 before, but we
> found some problems. Should I rebuild one @ i586 or go lower? How about
> a i586 and we find some other development for a i486 or special requirement
> type of deal? I wanna take it to a fairly common level, but I hadn't
> planned on making a one size fits all type of cd. Unless others want to
> help make that work, as I wouldn't have that type of time... :)

I'm coming into this late, and haven't done any homework yet so forgive if
this has been brought up...

Instead of making the alfs iso "workable" on all these different platforms,
couldn't we create the iso as a kind of "rescue disk" that had just enough to
boot off of, had a copy of the lfs tarballs, and contained some kind of
script that would walk the use through partitioning their system, and then
copied the tarballs onto the syste, and started compiling? That way if I
booted my old 486 off the cd, it would compile and install an LFS system that
was 486 appropraite. Likewise, when I took that cd and put it in my brand new
Thunderbird 800 system, it would compile and install an Athlon appropraite
LFS...

The cd would obviously have to contain a "live" running system that was
compiled for say a 386 (lowest common denominator) with all the tools being
able to compile for other targets (486, 586, k6, etc). Should be doable, dont
you think?

To me this should be the ultimate goal of LFS. Kind of our own distribution
that in the very act of installing is custom-tailored to your hardware. We
say 'here's this cd, take it home, boot off it. Answer some questions, watch
the fireworks, remove the cd, reboot. Bam! You're new LFS system compiled and
optimized for your hardware."

What you think?
--
Douglas J. Hunley (Linux User #174778)
http://hunley.homeip.net/

   As a math atheist, I should be excused from this.
		  -- Calvin
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org