hey check out my crappy iso :)

Bryan Dumm bryan at bcpub.com
Mon May 7 21:44:02 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 06:08, you wrote:
> On Mon May 07, 2001 at 09:39:04PM +0000, the boisterous
> Bryan Dumm <bryan at bcpub.com>
>
> wrote to me:
> > would it be like
> > mount -t ramfs ramfs /etc
> > cp -a /etc /etc
>
> no, more like
> mount -t ramfs ramfs /tmp
> cp -a /etc/* /tmp
> umount /tmp
> mount -t ramfs ramfs /etc
>
> but I see what's the problem, I don't know but I think that ramfs is
> destroyed after umounting? with ramdisks, it's somethink like this:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ramx bs=1k count=yyy
> mke2fs -vm0 -i 1024 /dev/ramx yyy
> mount -n -t ext2 /dev/ramx /tmp
> cp -a /etc/* /tmp
> umount /tmp
> mount -n -t ext2 /dev/ramx /tmp
>
> If ramfs is destroyed after umounting, then ramfs is unusable for
> overmounting. But is then ramfs that what we want?
>
> So long
> Thomas

Ok, I am going to throw another log on the fire, Tmpfs.... mmmm

:)

Tmpfs I guess is what ramfs is moving to... Below are the details.
I believe like with ramfs, you can keep on mounting as many different
ramfs(er tmpfs) mount points as you need ie...

mount -t ramfs ramfs /etc
mount -t ramfs ramfs /tmp
mount -t ramfs ramfs /sbin

With tmpfs it also looks like you can have not only limits, but
dynamic ones. The question still remains though, should one

cp -a /etc /etc

after a mount ramfs(overlapping), and how does that work?
Wouldn't you have to do it before hand, like copying it into
memory to umm, put it back into memory? :)

  Tmpfs is a file system which keeps all files in virtual memory.

  In contrast to RAM disks, which get allocated a fixed amount of
  physical RAM, tmpfs grows and shrinks to accommodate the files it
  contains and is able to swap unneeded pages out to swap space.

  Everything is "virtual" in the sense that no files will be created
  on your hard drive; if you reboot, everything in tmpfs will be
  lost.

  You should mount the filesystem somewhere to be able to use
  POSIX shared memory. Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should
  take care of things:

  tmpfs          /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults        0 0

  Remember to create the directory that you intend to mount tmpfs on
  if necessary (/dev/shm is automagically created if you use devfs).

  You can set limits for the number of blocks and inodes used by the
  filesystem with the mount options "size", "nr_blocks" and
  "nr_inodes". These parameters accept a suffix k, m or g for kilo,
  mega and giga and can be changed on remount.

  The initial permissions of the root directory can be set with the
  mount option "mode".

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org