regarding appending to config-files

peram at mnemonic.no peram at mnemonic.no
Thu Mar 1 12:43:01 PST 2001

First I would apologise in advance if the following already has been
discussed and desided upon.  I've not seen this in the archives, but you
never knows....

Since my last post I've downloaded the profile posted by Nicholas Dille and
tested this on the same machine that my own profilen bombs out on and
Nicholas' profile works like a charm.  Haven't quite figured out why yet,
but that can wait.  Running through the profile I'm left with two questions
that I can't really figure out.

1) How to handle the compiling of the kernel.  I guess I'm missing something
obvious due to my lack of experience with linux, but my understanding was
that if the symlinks created in chap5 was done, I could copy a .config from
another 2.4.2 kernel, run make dep and friends.  Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

2) How to handle additions to already existing config-files.  I started to
wonder how to add info to lilo.conf that is copied from the existing system.
 If textdump can be extended to handle appending as well this could be
solved quite easy.  Since my perl isn't "fluid" I'll try to describe in
"pseudocode" :

    - adding a attribute named mode with either create or append as
      valid values to the textdump-tag and then add the following to
      Textdump.pm:

        if file does exit AND mode = append
            open file for append
            dump new data to file
        else
            create file
            dump data to file

So I'm I way off on this or is there some sense to this ??

Peram

Per Arne Munthe,Senior Consultant          Email : peram at mnemonic.no
Mnemonic AS, Waldemar Thranesgt. 77        Phone : +47 2299 9704 (Direct)
N-0175 Oslo, NORWAY                        Fax   : +47 2299 9701