Another try

atark at thepipeline.net atark at thepipeline.net
Thu Jun 28 18:04:28 PDT 2001

On Thursday 28 June 2001 05:43 pm, you wrote:
> I think you have hit on the crux of the disagreement.  I think we all want
> a system where the backend will be portable across a lot of environments,
> not programming languages, and the profile made by one person can be used
> by anyone else who gets ahold of it (within reason).  I don't think there
> is a need for greater discussion on this - but cetainly reply if you do.

The XML syntax should be written in such a way that one could wirte a backend
in any language.  It's not that different than have an API for a programming
library.  It's a pretty basic concept.  An API is pretty abstract it's like a
black box, you know what goes in and what come out, but you do not care how
it gets done.  The backend is the black box.  Who cares how it is done as
long as it gets done?

--Andy
atark at thepipeline.net
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org