preliminary attempt at one DTD

Chris jcore at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jun 21 12:55:56 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 09:51:31AM -0400, Dan Garthwaite wrote:
> My cheap criticism: how do we keep track of versions of dependencies?  ( like needing a certain version of QT )
>    -dan
>
> > 	<deps>
> > 		<natural>en-US</natural>
> > 		<programming>C</programming>
> > 		<requires>boguslib</requires>
> > 		<requires>ncurses</requires>
> > 	</deps>

Not cheap criticism at all.  Yes, in the end using pure PCDATA for nearly anything would be problematic.  I was planning on using some type of pointer (without using damn URLs) to refer to a package.  I still haven't read up on XLink and XPointer, so I'm not sure exactly what they can do, but I'm hoping they can clear up ambiguities.

Also, I've been reading through the XML Schema that was accepted by the W3C lately, and we should definately take advantage of that also.  Now it's just a matter of time until I (and everyone else) really gets the hang of all this stuff.  I think from the beginning we need to plan out leaving the actual package build information inside of the package, and not the system, description (I'm using package here to refer to individual source tarballs).  The reason for this being to limit the amount of redundant XML that needs to be written and to create less work for system profile creation.

Obviously if we decouple the system profile with the individual package build information we loose some flexibility and the package description is going to need to be much smarter, but I think it makes for a better implementation in the end.
--
Chris
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org