Package management

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Mon Jun 18 00:11:32 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 07:47:33PM -0400, atark at thepipeline.net wrote:
> Then I decided to take a look at strace output.  To make a long story short,
> I think I've come up with a crude replacement for the Installwatch library.
> I could probably modify Checkinstall easy enough to use it instead. The
> advantages are it should work with in chroot and with static libraries/files?
> (I have not tested this however, yet)  And it also avoids the overhead of
> doing multiple finds and such.

Yeah, the multiple find way isn't that great, especially when it can
only really tell which new files were added, not files that were modified =\

Which is why i prefer to use a timestamp and a find statement which
prune's out most things (/root, /tmp, /usr/tmp, etc.., /proc, /home),
it's at least nicer output and faster then what i've become use too,
your idea does seem interesting thou.

> I know we are not talking much about package management yet but I am in need
> of this more than ALFS, so this is where I am putting my not very free time.

Well... i think we should keep talking about package management and not
forget about it, just as long as we know that we should not expect it to
show up in the first release =)

Better to think about the problem and discuss it then ignore
it..especially if time is on are side.

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org