Defining ALFS and it's initial goals.

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 17 11:48:27 PDT 2001

On Sunday 17 June 2001 14:51, Henrik Heil wrote:
> What do you think about it?

Sorry, but I think I'll have to disagree (strongly).

What you're doing is adding nothing. In the end, you're writing a shell
script. What's the use of XML? We want to use XML to

1) be able to use the language's functions for creating directories, moving
files, etc. without using the slower programs (which might not even be there,
hence reducing protability)
2) contextualize the information to be able to send useful feedback to the
frontend
3) contextualize the information to effectively use ALFS as a tool for
package management
4) provide a human-readable format (the <command name="ln"> sort of tag
you're using in fact *reduces* readability compared to a shell script)
5) contextualize the information so that editing the profile with the
frontend will be easy. Finding the section relative to some part of the build
will need some kind of context, and xml provides it.
6) enforce data compliance with a dtd on a per-command basis, not on vague
shell commands which all look alike.

Woah, I'm now an XML advocate!

I hope you now understand better why your use of XML does not take advantage
of any of it.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

--
Simon Perreault -- Public key: http://nomis80.linuxfromscratch.org/nomis80.gpg