Fwd: Re: Moving on

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 16 09:45:06 PDT 2001

> Ah, this would be cool. Using ALFS as a kind of master ultra-compatible
> package management system, from source to be even more compatible. I like.
> But the RPM format can do this too, albeit not as conveniently. You have me
> convinced on this one, let's just hope that ALFS will be this and not a mere
> script-runner.

That has been my dream since ALFS started and I wouldn't reset until
ALFS becomes that. Else "what else is new?" That would give ALFS
something truly unique, as we haven't seen that yet in the linux world.
But it's a high goal to attain, lots of work there.

> Weak? You gave me hard examples of how XML would be better suited than RPM
> for the task at hand, and you convinced me. I was asking for this all along,
> waiting for an answer. Only because no answer was given did I seem to bash it
> all. Sorry.

don't be sorry. You knwo what this accomplished? Us having to find hard
reasons why to use xml over anything else. It forced to rethink
everything 10 times and because we came to the same conclusion all 10
times, it must mean we at least know what we want and don't change our
minds every time.

> You have me convinced, but you have defined a goal of ALFS: be an
> ultra-compatible package management that would work with existing package
> management systems and which would install from source. Does anybody else
> agree with this goal?

This used to be in the white paper, but it was removed again for some
reason, or i planned on adding it but never came around to.

Let me make one thing clear: our initial goal won't be to be a
ultra-compatible package management like you said, but we all know Linux
world lacks this, it's needed, and needed badly. But there's so much
work we should concentrate on it after we get a base going. But since we
use the right stuff (XML that is), it'll be easy to expand ALFS into
that goal and other goals.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org