IPC, RPC, Protocol to use between fe/be?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 16 09:35:30 PDT 2001

> What you're writing in your profile is exactly a shell script!

It won't stay that way. We all know the current profiles are no where
near something we want to eventually use. We were all new to this a year
ago, so we combined shell script with xml to just show what can be done.
It's never meant to be an acurate reflection.

I would like to see something like this:

<package>
	<name>bash</name>
	<build />
</package>

this will tell you what to do, not how to do it. Your implementation can
then be "ok build has no parameters, so let's invoke the default build
process ./configure&&make LDFLAGS=-static&&make install. This default
behaviour is defined in one DTD, and not explicitly written in every
spec file (right now i'd see 45 spec files all repeating the same
commands "./configure&&make&&make install").

> As I said, XML contextualizes the information. What do you want that info for?

For whatever you need it do. You can use it to build a system or to
print out documentation.

> I think I understand pretty well what XML is and what it is not, thank you. I
> think XML isn't suited for the task at hand.

Well then I think there's nothing we can say or do that will change your
mind. We are convinced XML is the best way to go here.

> Sorry.

Don't be, it's your right to have a different opinion.

Hey, if you want spec files anyways, you can always convert xml to your
spec files. Or to a different format. Even in this case it's better to
start with xml to convert to rpm, rather than the other way around.

Who in the world reads raw xml? Nobody, so why do we write the lfs book
in xml? I could just write it in html as that's the format everybody
reads. Lynx can dump the html to txt and htmdoc can dump the html to ps
and pdf. I'm still convinced xml is better to use, because it allows me
to do more with it. With HTML I'm stuck with the way a webbrowser reads
and displays html. But with xml i can use a different dsssl that outputs
it in any style I want (even to html), that's hard to do with html.

Now, perhaps it's hard to cross the bridge from "book xml" to "alfs xml"
but the reasoning behind it is quite similar and the same applies.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org