Moving on

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 16 08:18:04 PDT 2001

On Thursday 14 June 2001 21:59, Corey Cox wrote:
> Alright, I'm not an expert but I'd like to put in my opinion.  XML allows
> us to be "smart" in the following way.  If I send an upgrade profile to be
> and it has several packages that have already been installed the backend
> can skip those and go onto the stuff it isn't missing.  This type of thing
> has a lot more utility than the one thing I just mentioned - but this is
> my support.  In XML everything has meaning a package can be directly
> compared to other packages and it can tell you stuff about the differences
> - I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this is what XML was made
> for!  Well, that is my rather out of touch with developement opinion.

I totally agree with the fact that XML can be used for this. But RPM (for
example) was designed to solve package management problems exactly like this
one, and does a pretty good job at it. And there are other existing
alternatives.

--
Simon Perreault -- Public key: http://nomis80.linuxfromscratch.org/nomis80.gpg
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org