Moving on

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 16 06:46:15 PDT 2001

> Ah, then XML gives us the advantage over shell scripts that you can gather
> status information. Very neat. But how is it any different from RPM? What
> kind of status do you want?

Backend failed to compile something. It'll send a message over RPC to
the frontend. Frontend then tells the user "This went wrong. We can try
to do "this, this and that to fix it. Pick one". User then picks a
possible solution, front-end sends a modified profile to the backend
which is executed.

This way the backend remains dumb. It just reads a profile and acts on
it, it doesn't need all kinds of smart self-correcting mechanisms.
That's for the front-end and user to do.

How would you do this with rpm?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org