TODOs.

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sat Jun 16 03:34:21 PDT 2001

Yo,

These are some of the (major) issues we need to sort out... i will add
to this list as i collect them, i suggest you guys do too.

    o Design Documentation

        I'll try and put something together in this regard tonight, but
        at this point, there isn't alot to say, not without more input
        from you guys, unless you don't mind me going with whatever i
        like about the below items in this list;

        You guygs suggested this, and i have no idea where to start,
        what information should we include? does anyone have any
        examples? just point me in the right direction and i'll gladly
        start this task.

    o Website redesign/information updates.

        This mostly has todo with updating the information on the
        website, as in, whom is working on what, the Introduction/White
        paper/Road map, etc... (this will be done most likelly by myself
        or Gerard, so no worries in this regards)

    o Profile Syntax clean up

        This seems to be a topic you guys want to talk about, the
        profiles aren't perfect right now, they work, but the syntax is
        terrible and needs alot of work.

        I would actually like to see how well a profile would work using
        more tags and less attributes. (as it has been suggested)

    o Profile Syntax Documentation

        This should be some of the first documentation written after we
        have done most of the syntax clean up, it should also be a guide
        to anyone willing to learn howto create, edit and learn howto
        write profiles.

    o Profile DTD

        This goes with the syntax clean up, will be needed to be
        written.

    o IPC/Protocol

        I've trying to start a conversation about what to use, mentioned
        XML-RPC, no one has bothered to even shoot down the idea, so
        either you guys don't care or are on vacation.
        (remenber thou, we want to try and keep this as un-language
         specific as possible)

I'm going to warn you all right now thou, that if i don't get some
feedback and input about things we need todo, i will assume that that
means you guys either don't care or will use whatever i see fit.

I can't speak for anyone else involed (Gerard, Jason, etc) but we need
to start somewhere and if you guys keep staying quiet about some of the
above issues there is nothing i can do except continue on using my best
judgement.

I will, as always, give you guys some time to think and post your
thoughs and keep answering your questions, but the line has to be drawn
somewhere, everyone keeps making suggestions and no real work is getting
done, now.. that isn't a bad thing, as we don't want to jump head first
into something without knowing what we are getting into, but if we don't
start writting the design doc soon... well we end up going in circles
and not getting anything done.

If you guys don't want to use XML and would prefer another method, fine,
there are a number of different projects doing this a different way and
you are glad to join them; if you guys want more reasons on why XML
would be a good idea, just ask.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, and as always, this is just my own
thoughs on the matter, but most of the last ~20 posts could have been
allready answered if we had started doing half of these tasks, but then
again, perhaps not... I don't mind doing all the work (if it comes down
to that :) if you guys will help me out and point me in the right
direction such as giving me some details that should be include in say..
the Design docs.. i'll get hacking on it, ASAP.

C'mon guys! there was such fire in the language thread, lets put some of
that to use again, Eh!

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org