Moving on

Corey Cox sleepnir at usa.net
Thu Jun 14 18:59:54 PDT 2001

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:18:27PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > I still don't get how our XML profile is any different from a shell
script.
> > That's my main concern.

Alright, I'm not an expert but I'd like to put in my opinion.  XML allows
us to be "smart" in the following way.  If I send an upgrade profile to be
and it has several packages that have already been installed the backend
can skip those and go onto the stuff it isn't missing.  This type of thing
has a lot more utility than the one thing I just mentioned - but this is
my support.  In XML everything has meaning a package can be directly
compared to other packages and it can tell you stuff about the differences
- I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this is what XML was made
for!  Well, that is my rather out of touch with developement opinion.

--
Corey Cox.

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org