Some thoughts

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 14 06:29:58 PDT 2001

> >   To this end, here are several suggestions that I have. First, since the
> > backend will need to run on any and every linux distro,
>
> UH? Why?

Why not? if we make a good neutral system, it will work anywhere. Go to
a Debian system, say grab a KDE profile and install it, while alfs also
updates the dpkg database. Or go to a redhat system. Or mandrake or
whatever else is out there.

How about an existing LFS system. This could be a very old LFS-1.x or
early 2.x system that uses gcc-2.7.2.3 with glibc-2.0.7 still. Or take a
recent lfs-3.0-cvs system. I could get the alfs app today and a kde
profile and install kde on my workstation.

Though, ALFS will primarily be used to install and maintain an ALFS
system that was created from scratch, it does not have to limit itself
to such a system. Or how about a situation where you need to install
ALFS like we do LFS - bootstrap off an existing Linux system (bootable
cdrom's are just not always an option - like where a system can't boot
from a cdrom).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org