Some thoughts

Thomas Matysik thomas at myos.linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 13 23:29:10 PDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
John Schmerge <schmerge at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>   I envision ALFS becoming another Linux distribution with several unique and
> powerful features. Most notable of these features is the idea of package
> management at the source-code level, not the binary level, like the RedHat or
> Debian systems.

You've just described exactly the aims of the myOS project.

I see ALFS as being basically something where you have a profile, and tell it to
"GO", and it'll give you a full ALFS system with little further intervention.

myOS, on the other hand, is intended to be a "distribution"... ie, it'll give the
user options, options, and more options.

> 1. The ALFS system should be as independent of other software as is possible.
>    The rational I have for this is as follows: no one can anticipate all the
>    possible permutations of various compilers, libraries and linux
>    distributions that people may be using to bootstrap an ALFS install.

for myOS, we are intending to provide a cd-bootable binary image for the
bootstrap.  This seems to be the easiest way to solve all the compatibility
issues.

Regards,
Thomas.
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org