Count me in

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Jun 13 00:15:27 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 05:02:19PM +1000, RoryO wrote:
> Profiling.  This is a bit of a contentious issue it seems.  Most of us seem
> to think "Oh well, profiling is easy - not to really be bothered about..."
> Well, yes, profiling CAN be easy.  The problem is that to right usable
> profiles u need to be able to acually install the software properly.  In some
> cases this is as simple as ./configure && make && make install -- however as
> most of us LFS'ers have come to realise, the above is usually the exception,
> not the rule.  To have a remote-deploayable profile means accessing a remote
> DB of all sorts of goodies.  And I will not even mention all the broken
> makefiles and configure files out there.  :(

I'm going to blame that on you making Gnome-related profiles... *g*

But really, XML isn't that hard, the syntax for sure needs proper
documentation, but once that is done it won't be that hard (especially
if we have example profiles)

And...if ppl still find it hard, then, i wonder how they managed todo
LFS in the first place *g*

> Profiling is a good way to initiate newbies to ALFS.  It is really what they
> are currently struggling with when doing LFS so we may as well pull in all
> that pent up frustration and enthusiasm.  One of the reason i started on the
> gnome profiles is due to the fact that many people are put off installing
> gnome because it is such a BITCH to do. ;)  So we can say to them "Gnome!
> It's a breeeze, go and check out http://blah and install ALFS"  We get them
> to try-out ALFS and they will soon see all the GOODNESS that we get to see
> currently.

Right, this is what i've although though.

> I'm not usually very vocal in mailing lists, i spose that is about to change!

Hah! i was lucky if i posted two emails a year on a mailing list before
i got involved in LFS/ALFS, next thing i knew i'm the #2 highest
post'er... whee, time flies ;)

Anyways, glad to see your interested =)

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org