Count me in

RoryO roryo at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 13 00:02:19 PDT 2001

Yo all!

I have just finished reading the last of the 50-something alfs-discuss post
that happend since my isp's e-mail was last working. *2 days no e-mail hurts*

To start off - w00t! 8-)    It seems that there is movement at the station.

As HIghOS has pointed out in the last week or so I have been putting together
some profiles for gnome and the assorted libs.  During this, often painful,
re-introduction to ALFS I have had the oppertunutiy to talk/bitch to HIghOS
and the other ALFS'ers on #LFS and #ALFS about the seemingly stalled status
to the project.  So it came as a plesant suprise to read all the activity and
enthusium on the list.

I would like to put my hand up as a contributor to ALFS.

I could contribute to:
Profiling
Documentation
Package Management
And any other "little help outs"  ;)

Just a few thoughts on varios issues.

I am not a coder - all my coding experance has been so far in the past that
about all i remember of it is the actual design of process flows and
dependancies *the terms may have changed since my day*.  I have in the past
used C, Delphi and VB in a work enviroment - yes i know EVIL WINDOZE - but am
willing to re-learn.

The Documentaion is the CORE of any open project, having been a technical
writer for a while I feel comfortable helping out here.  I do have a Diploma
in Professional Writing and Editing.

Profiling.  This is a bit of a contentious issue it seems.  Most of us seem
to think "Oh well, profiling is easy - not to really be bothered about..."
Well, yes, profiling CAN be easy.  The problem is that to right usable
profiles u need to be able to acually install the software properly.  In some
cases this is as simple as ./configure && make && make install -- however as
most of us LFS'ers have come to realise, the above is usually the exception,
not the rule.  To have a remote-deploayable profile means accessing a remote
DB of all sorts of goodies.  And I will not even mention all the broken
makefiles and configure files out there.  :(

Profiling is a good way to initiate newbies to ALFS.  It is really what they
are currently struggling with when doing LFS so we may as well pull in all
that pent up frustration and enthusiasm.  One of the reason i started on the
gnome profiles is due to the fact that many people are put off installing
gnome because it is such a BITCH to do. ;)  So we can say to them "Gnome!
It's a breeeze, go and check out http://blah and install ALFS"  We get them
to try-out ALFS and they will soon see all the GOODNESS that we get to see
currently.

Package Managment.  Thanks to jbs on #LFS i am working on his orginal shell
script to track changes in the file structure and i am adding functionalitity
to remove the files.  This is a very basic start.  I would be VERY interested
in helping out with this area of ALFS.  I will keeping hacking at it by
meself intil it get adressed by the community.

Well, that's about it for the moment.... more to come... ;)

I'm not usually very vocal in mailing lists, i spose that is about to change!
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org