Moving on

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Tue Jun 12 22:40:35 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 07:42:31AM +0200, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
> Sorry for posting so late, but I slept a long time ;-)

Hey, no worries, i want to wait a bit anyways, we have alot of i18n
LFS/ALFS'ers out there, most of them are going to be waking up soon :)

> I think the choose for a xml-based file format is good, because as Bryan said
> a month ago, that it could be used to create rpms/debs through a not coded
> parser.

Actually, if you dig back enough, you would problably notice this was
something i started saying (i remenber we had *quite* a few discussions
around a year ago about these questions) and ever since then, everyone
seems to really like this idea. (well, it was either me, Gerard or Mark
Stone with his 'distrobutionless distribution' ideas ;)

> So the user has the chance to choose what he wants. I also think that we
> should create an automatic rpm/deb install cd and a compile from scratch cd
> (surely the user has to create them ;-).

Bryan was working on a bootable CD to install LFS and ALFS before he
left, i have the most recent copy (which i got from him a few days ago)
online @ http://junk.highos.com/ALFS/alfs.iso

Considering Bryan has left, i'm not going to support this, but you may
want to take a look at it.

> What I miss in the xmls is infos like license, descriptions, subpackages, and
> so on. RPM is featurefuller than alfs-xml format. I also miss support for
> installing in other directories and cross-compiling support (I hated it when
> I recognized that a K6-2 cannot run i686 bins, but thats life).

All of that will be added when we get around to talking about a package
management system. (hrm, i should track down a few LSB guys and see what
kind of generic interface they are working on, so we can plan to
integrate it hopefully..)

But if you know a little perl, there is nothing from stopping you from
doing it right now.

<ignores all the language stuff for now>

> What I also miss is default configurations like /etc/profile, ... That should
> be a main reason to use ALFS.

Well, that has little todo with actual coding, all a profile developer
(or even used) would need todo is open up a profile and add a few lines;

<textdump file="/etc/profile">
=PS1='\[\033[1;32m\]\h:\w\$\[\033[0m\] '
</textdump>

And it's done..

> And now new stuff: What do you think of xml based init scripts? Consider
> something like this:

That's beyond what i could call ALFS... ;)

(i feel sorry for whomever wakes up to a boat load of alfs-discuss email
*g*)

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org