Moving on

Andy ac_ml at backslash.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 20:32:09 PDT 2001

From: "Jesse Tie Ten Quee" <highos at highos.com>
> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:10:19PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Simple math, we just need a 'coder'. Do you want to be the coder?
>
> And as Andy just pointed out a very good idea.
>
> We can always keep perl as the be for now and get a working IPC
> in place and i'll start messing with C++/Qt and Qt's XML Objects,
> there's no reasons we can't all work together.
>
> And again, i hope i didn't come off as a total ass in my reply ... for
> everyone that doesn't know Simon or Myself, trust me, we don't take
> things personal and are good friends, just the french in us speaking up
> i think, Eh? (hey, i grew up in Quebec too ya know *g*)

I strongly suggest we then build the design document *now*, before any
further work is done. I don't mean to sound prudish, but this should be
considered essential for the seperate be/fe stuff.

What could be an idea is to use a modular fe/be system. This is slightly
further fetched than the ideas flying around right now.

We could add another layer to the backend, which provides the facility to
grab the packages from a multitude of locations. For instance, for deploying
on a network multiple times, grab the profile and packages from a HTTP
server, with a be module that supports this. Another module could be written
to grab things from CVS, another from a CD. This would provide a great deal
of flexibility for deploying ALFS.

The same idea could be used for the frontend, where the IPC interface with
the backend is language neutral. You could write a silent frontent, a nice
graphical one using a X server, one that is silent except it reports back
the result to an admin via email, etc. If we design it properly (and that
means creating a design doc, sorry to push this idea so much :), then we can
avoid a great deal of hastle (and limitations) in the future.

What do people think of this?

ta, ./andy

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org