Moving on

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Tue Jun 12 19:44:28 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 07:52:24PM -0700, Andy wrote:
> That opened up a nice can of worms, there :)

No worries thou, this was going to happen one way or another, at least
now it's open to discussion and we are thinking about it.

> I can totally understand that. The problem with C/C++ is that the languages
> arent really designed with text processing in mind. What could be done,
> however, is write the backend in text-processing-happy perl with the
> frontend in C++, nice and perty Qt or something.

That's actually a very good idea, it would problably be the Right Thing
Todo(tm) right now.

I should take a look at Qt's XML Classes, now that i think about it..

(well considering we can get some perl guys that will want todo it
*gently nudges Simon again*)

> I'm a bad CompSci guy. Whatever describes what you want to do, how you'll do
> it etc will probably be good enough. If the fe and be are begin developed
> seperately, then interfaces between them would probably need to be defined
> then, to sooth teething problems.

nods.

> One thing that should be considered a must: internationalization. Most
> coders out there probably have very little or no experience of i18n matters,
> so I think these should be considered in the design document. This means no
> hard coded strings for UI stuff etc. Not too hard, but we should include it
> in the standards specs, so we dont wind up with too many problems down the
> road.

Can't speak for perl, but i know for Qt it has some nice support. (at
least for the frontend then), lets keep that in mind also, k guys?

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org