Moving on

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 12 18:56:26 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 15:00, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> We had a perl thing going, but from the looks of it, that won't be
> maintained anymore. Jesse has been trying to get in touch with the
> people who have been working on the perl backend but no response that
> yet. Jesse mentioned that he wants to work on a C or C++ backend. He'll
> have to provide more details on that himself when he reads this.

I never really understood how the backend was different from using, say, RPM.
You have different sections for each package, and everything installs in
order, nothing more. There seemed to be no provisions for package management
or remote management. Could someone explain

1) What exactly is the goal of ALFS? Reading the website, I can't help but
feel that this can all be done with RPM.
2) How does ALFS differ from everything else?
3) How will XML help us attain what we want to attain? To me this is still a
bunch of commands written in *sequential order*. How can XML be of any use?

Now that I know a bit more about Perl, I'm sad to see the Perl backend go
because I could've helped.

--
Simon Perreault -- Public key: http://nomis80.linuxfromscratch.org/nomis80.gpg
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org