Moving on

Andy ac_ml at backslash.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 18:40:58 PDT 2001

From: "Jesse Tie Ten Quee" <highos at highos.com>
> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:52:52PM -0700, Andy wrote:
> > All the languages above can be rather messy when used incorrectly.
Whatever
> > is used, there should be some design/coding standards laid out before
hand,
> > as reading source code with various levels of indenting, brace position
etc
> > is very confusing. For C, I suggest the linus/K&R style. C++ can follow
> > similar convention, but with added rules for classes etc.
>
> Yes, i learned that the hard way. (i was actually lucky enough to learn
> C++ on a project where there were guide lines/design/coding standards
> and id like to keep that habit going, thx for reminding me)
>
> I would still like to go with C/C++ thou, it's what i (use) to know and
> am most familiar with (apart from scripting languages such as perl/etc)

Who is actually going to work on the parts? From my understanding, we could
use different languages for the fe/be, and setup some IPC mechanism between
them. So we could do the frontend in C/C++, and the backend in perl, or some
other combination.

Should the language choice be mainly up to the largest contributors? As they
will be doing the work, it seems a sensible idea. As we have to make choice
now, we can either go with the developers-choose-the-language or the
language-chooses-the-developers theory.

> But as i haven't started yet, i can always change my mind, but.. if i do
> go with C/C++ i hope i will have a more experienced developer to help me
> out and shout at me when i do something stupid (which i will do *g*)

Not me :) My C/C++ experience boils down to a few experimentations with Qt
and some libc experimentations.

> > I may get some flak for this, but has anyone considered java? I don't
know
> > the ins and outs of how feasible this would be, but it's a very clean,
> > forgiving language with great exception support and so on. It's use also
> > promotes good design (usually) because of its
> > "almost-everything-is-an-object" stance. Good design would be it very
> > flexible for extending the code etc.
>
> I don't think anyone has considered Java yet, which isn't a bad idea
> when you consider how good XML support it has..as for me, i've never
> used the language.

Any java gurus in the audience? I did some at uni, liked it quite a bit, but
havent tried to do anything large in it.

> But like i said, if you want, go right ahead and start writting one, i
> can get you setup with CVS access or whatever else you need.

I think this is a bad idea until we get some kind of design document going
(I'm assuming there isnt one already - im quite new to these lists :). Sorry
to sound all CompSci, but a design document is a *very* good idea for a
project where there are multiple distributed developers, all working on
different subsystems.

> <[snippity-snip]>
> We had agreed, about a year ago, that we were going to use a BSD license
> (which i have been releasing my profiles under), now unless that has
> changed... Gerard and Jason are the only two official developers left,
> so can you guys speak up?
>
> And of course everyone on the list for that matter.
>
> My personal view is, i prefer the BSD over most licenses, which includes
> the GPL, hell id prefer even public domain, but that would be pushing it
> too far ;)

Yeah, agreed.

Ta, ./andy

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org