Moving on

Andy ac_ml at backslash.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 17:52:52 PDT 2001

> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 10:52:56PM +0200, didbaba wrote:
> > I just succeed, building a ALFS 3.0-pre3 with the PERL backend, very
good :) But there is many work to do.

> Couldn't agree more.
>
> > I prefer learning C than Perl so go on. But please no C++.
>
> learning C? hrm, no C++? wanna elaborate? (do you want to help to
> actually develop the fe/be/ALFS?)

All the languages above can be rather messy when used incorrectly. Whatever
is used, there should be some design/coding standards laid out before hand,
as reading source code with various levels of indenting, brace position etc
is very confusing. For C, I suggest the linus/K&R style. C++ can follow a
similar convention, but with added rules for classes etc.

I may get some flak for this, but has anyone considered java? I don't know
the ins and outs of how feasible this would be, but it's a very clean,
forgiving language with great exception support and so on. It's use also
promotes good design (usually) because of its
"almost-everything-is-an-object" stance. Good design would be it very
flexible for extending the code etc.

I'm not sure if this has been asked or decided upon before, but what license
will you be releasing the code under?

Just my tuppence.

./andy

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org