Moving on

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Tue Jun 12 17:50:29 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:52:52PM -0700, Andy wrote:
> All the languages above can be rather messy when used incorrectly. Whatever
> is used, there should be some design/coding standards laid out before hand,
> as reading source code with various levels of indenting, brace position etc
> is very confusing. For C, I suggest the linus/K&R style. C++ can follow a
> similar convention, but with added rules for classes etc.

Yes, i learned that the hard way. (i was actually lucky enough to learn
C++ on a project where there were guide lines/design/coding standards
and id like to keep that habit going, thx for reminding me)

I would still like to go with C/C++ thou, it's what i (use) to know and
am most familiar with (apart from scripting languages such as perl/etc)

But as i haven't started yet, i can always change my mind, but.. if i do
go with C/C++ i hope i will have a more experienced developer to help me
out and shout at me when i do something stupid (which i will do *g*)

> I may get some flak for this, but has anyone considered java? I don't know
> the ins and outs of how feasible this would be, but it's a very clean,
> forgiving language with great exception support and so on. It's use also
> promotes good design (usually) because of its
> "almost-everything-is-an-object" stance. Good design would be it very
> flexible for extending the code etc.

I don't think anyone has considered Java yet, which isn't a bad idea
when you consider how good XML support it has..as for me, i've never
used the language.

But like i said, if you want, go right ahead and start writting one, i
can get you setup with CVS access or whatever else you need.

I think we should keep the an open standard when it comes to what
everything should be coded in, as it doesn't really matter, as long as
it works and it has the desired affect.

> I'm not sure if this has been asked or decided upon before, but what license
> will you be releasing the code under?

Ohhhh.. i knew i forget to mention something.

We had agreed, about a year ago, that we were going to use a BSD license
(which i have been releasing my profiles under), now unless that has
changed... Gerard and Jason are the only two official developers left,
so can you guys speak up?

And of course everyone on the list for that matter.

My personal view is, i prefer the BSD over most licenses, which includes
the GPL, hell id prefer even public domain, but that would be pushing it
too far ;)

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org