ALFS from scratch

Felipe de Jes ús Contreras Garza revo at MailAndNews.com
Tue Jul 10 21:39:38 PDT 2001

>===== Original Message From Jesse Tie Ten Quee <highos at highos.com> =====
>Yo,
>
>On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:58:30PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Ok, how good my scripts need to be in order to be noticed?
>
>I have no idea :)

hmmm, cool.

>That's one the hardest things todo, to gain users and attention, if you
>can do that, well...

I'll try.

>> How are you going to change XML profiles into installed packages?
>
>http://alfs.linuxfromscratch.org/intro/
>http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfsdiscuss/2001/06/
>http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfsdiscuss/2001/07/

With Pearl scripts it is not so hard to execute shell commands, but you need
to think if it's possible to do a "./configure --prefix=/usr" directly with c
or c++. I'm sure it's posible but you need to think on that on what problems
can come. That's a reason why when I think on doing a "./configure" must be
done with bash, and the way to get a "./configure" but be with a C parser from
a XML profile. KISS.

>.From the sounds of it, you haven't actually tried ALFS yet, so i'll
>point you out to this article;

I just heard pearl, xml, unmantained, dropped, and I didn't mind to try them.

>http://community.linuxfromscratch.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/08/1449233
>
>> I think XML should be used in ALFS exaclty the same as it is used in the
>> book.
>> XML becomes HTML, TXT, PDF, or whatever, but the user doesn't need openjade
>> nor any of the necesary tools, the user can download the formated book and
>> nothing special is needed. So in ALFS we can have XML profiles that get
>> converted
>> into usable bash scripts that could work perfectly by themselves without
>> anything special.
>
>uh..what would be the point of that? :)
>
>Id prefer to just maintain them in _one_ format, not needed to convert
>them..but anyways.
>
>Anyways... we have agreed (afiak, anyways ;) that we are sticking with
>XML and the way we are doing things now, please check the last two
>months of the mailing list archives for details. (there were a few ppl
>working on a summary of what was discussed not too long ago, not sure if
>they finished it thou)

I've read most of the mails on the alfs ml, I just don't think the same.

I was thinking on the speed and future on the project, but I'll not mention
anything more.