My first remarks ...

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Jul 5 10:08:15 PDT 2001

Yo,

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 01:59:46AM +0200, Lederrey Guillaume wrote:
>   The mailing lists that are "closed" are still listed on the web site.  I think they should be removed.

They should not be removed, if we do that, then we loose all the
information those lists have, all the posts, etc...

>   Is there any documentation about the current implementation in Perl ?  I downladed it (ALFS-0.0.7.tar.bz2) and couldnt find any inside.  Do we just have to read the
> code ?

There isn't.. well apart from doing a perldoc ALFS.pm, iirc

>   If you want stability, object oriented programming, good design and so on ...  but as a compiled languge, there is ADA.  There is a very good Open Source compiler,
> interface with QT for GUI.   The only problem is there is not so many developpers ...

As for the merits of the different languages LFS could be implemented
it, i think we all agreed that any language could be used.

>   Is there somewhere (outside the archive) a documentation of what are exactly the goals of the front end / back end / ...  and what are the interfaces ?

We agreed that the idea of a multiple frontend/backend/ipc/whatever
isn't needed at this point.

So all an ALFS implementation needs todo is parse the XML and do the
work, nothing fancy.

>   Talking about internationalization (how do you write that word ?) : if you have s/t to translate into french, I'm here.

internationalisation.

> What I also miss is default configurations like /etc/profile, ... That should
> be a main reason to use ALFS.

Well.. that's just stuff users can add in the profile, a simple text
dumb to a file, not something we should be targetting, imo.

>   What's the problem with providing Perl ?  We have all the place we need on a CD.  We can put all
> the extensions as well.  They are open source, that's to use them and distribute them !

That isn't the point ;)

ALFS wont only be installed from a CD, one could download and install it
manually, it can be a pain in the ass having to install an xml parser
and four perl packages ;)

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org