user profiles

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Sat Jan 27 14:36:51 PST 2001

Howdy,

User profiles again.... I got some basic ideas below, and I
would like to start building up a list of suggestions. One
of the questions I have is how would General or Specific
Preference xml structures look like or work????

I think the Personal, Machine information sections would
be fairly self explanitory. We need to expand, talk about the
preference sections some. For instance, looking at the General
example below. How would we go about checking for, what
the default is for that package(ie is it /usr/local)?

Anyways, looking for comments.

Bryan

Personal Information
Name
Email
Address
City
State
Postal Code
Country

Machine Information

CPU
motherboard
ram
video Card
sound Card
# of drives
drive partitions
cdroms
ethernet
modem
keyboard
mouse
monitor
extra equipment - other cards, plug in items, etc.

General Preferences
( A General preference is one that affects all packages, and other profile
actions)

ex. All files that want to install in /usr/local should be installed in /usr

Specfic Preferences
( A specific preference is one that only affects that listed package
or profile command)

ex. All KDE packages should go under /usr/kde2

Other section ideas???

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org