TODO list?

L Vogtmann vmann at vmann.net
Thu Jan 25 22:59:05 PST 2001

On Thursday 25 January 2001 01:38 pm, Bryan Dumm wrote:
<snip>
> Yea a bootable cd would be good. Find out if David has his install
> script put together, so you could use that also.

Great, I'll get to work!  Where can I get this script?

> I figure the cd would need
>
> package tarballs
> profiles wanted
> alfs enviroment. (this I am still not sure what all is/is not needed)

I have done some preliminary thought on that.  The package tarballs
definitely should be part of the CD image, but I was also thinking that a
"skeleton" tarball with instructions on how to create the CD image with your
own package tarballs could be made available.  (In case someone wants to use
newer versions of software.)

Also, default (or popular) profiles could be included in the image, or read
from floppy (this way users could easily use their own profiles later, and
possibly include more information for the install program.  i.e. install
program not needing to ask which profile to use, just automatically use the
profile specified in a "run" file on the floppy)

Alfs environment... ah, this one will take a little experimenting I'm sure.
I'm assuming the first versions of ALFS will use perl for the engine, so
we'll need that for sure.  (Depending on the answer to my question below.)
Disk utils like fdisk, parted, fips... to prep the target HD.  Later on I'm
sure we'd like to be able to facilitate network installation, so network
clients (but that's later, no harm in planning ahead though.)

> I think you could make the enviroment like you would your LFS,
> and then just burn that who directory, make the cd boot off that
> enviroment? If you can get that install script, then boot off of that?

I don't think we'd need a full LFS system, busybox works very well for my
utility disks, and static utils to save space on libc (though this isn't much
of a problem with a /usr filesystem on the CD.)  Don't really need syslog (or
init, or getty....)

One question though (shoot me if this has already been answered earlier),
will ALFS be done in two stages (like the LFS book, out/in chroot)?  Or will
it dump a static LFS build environment onto the disk and then compile from
that?  Either way is possible, but the dump type would require very little of
the CD system.

> Have fun.

I am!  Thanks
vmann
- --
GPG public key / Geek Code block available at
http://vmann.net

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org