ALFS Progress (was: Re: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory)

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Jan 19 04:29:30 PST 2001

Yo,

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 07:34:23AM -0800, eriddle at linuxcare.com wrote:
> Congratulations, pup.  (Hope that translates well ;)

thx =)

> I was interesting to discover that the SGML/XML piece of the LSB spec
> is about 50% done.

really? woah, i need to read them again... it has been a long time since
i seriously looked at the LSB..

> I have been interested in ALFS for quite some time.  I do have my own
> opinion about it though.  You may have seen some of my posts regarding
> LSB compliance, or not :)  But, I have been interested in building
> LFS to the current LSB spec.  At the moment, I have be too busy with
> my real job.  I am currently trying to get caught up on the LSB spec.
> I read it Monday, but have not completed my read the FHS 2.1 spec.

Yes i have.

> So, anyway, in an effort to help push LSB along and provide the
> necessary feedback to the package maintainers to help make their
> source code use LSB spec for their make install scripts, I'd like
> to focus my next build around the LSB or at least the LDPS.  The
> reason is that the LSB is focused on using RPM.  It would be nice
> to balance the test specification with a source based installation.
>
> A lot of what ALFS is moving toward is in line with being able to
> build LSB compliant systems from LSB compliant systems.  Something
> that is not really being done yet.  The current method involves
> installing a minimal system, removing stuff that is not in the
> spec, the tweaking what is left to conform.  Building from source
> seems a much cleaner method.  Once that is done, people can use
> whatever package manager they want, but I do not want to be forced
> to use any package manager to build a compliant system.

Coulnd't agree more.. one of the reasons i really jumped at ALFS is Mark
Stone, whom really liked the idea of pushing ALFS to help out the LSB,
glad to know there are others that are willing to put time into it.. get
back to me on this, i'm willing to put time into making some nice ALFS
100% LSB Profiles.

-

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org