ALFS Progress (was: Re: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory)

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Tue Jan 2 13:25:45 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > better late than never... sorry, I was going through a 500 e-mail
>
> ;)
>
> I've backwashed too, so let me keep this short and to-the-point. Sorry if I
> sound short with you or rude, I'm just going through serveral hundred emails
> and I want to get them all done by today (else I'll be in more trouble later
> this week)

hehe, good..I feel better that it's not just me :)

and no, this didn't sound rude :) - sometimes, when discussing things of
this nature, people can respond in a terse fashion.  Meaning no offense
but sometimes it's hard to avoid seemingly harsh comments.  I think we
both tried to avoid the illusion of offense here, and were successful...
speaking from my end, of course :)

but, successful projects usually have spirited people.  Just look at the
kernel list lately :)..hehe

> > 1) Accessibility is necessity.  Once the project reaches a certain
>
> <cut>
>
> Agreed on and we all felt this as a pain. Current schedule is to have a real
> ALFS website up a running by the end of this week. Along with a working
> backend and profile. The backend should be avaiable in CVS at some point
> today

very cool, when I get a shot ... I'll keep an eye out on it...

> > 2) Direction is a goal.  If the project has no goal other than to
> <cut>
>
> Bryan and I have talked about this a lot. During last weekend I was down in
> Ohio to meet with Bryan in real life and we talked quite a bit about ALFS and
> what direction it can go to. I'll leave that up to Bryan if he doesn't mind
> writing something up. We think a like on this, he just has a better way of
> putting it to words.

I await any applicable post :)

btw, is there an initiative in place to do a website right now? - just
curious...

> > 3) Divide and conquer.  The ALFS should be split into coherent parts.
> <cut>
>
> That was one of the first things we have discussed on this list.
>
> Right now we have/will have lists for:
> front-end (nothing's being coded yet on that end, so no mailinglist for it
> yet)
>
> back-end: alfs-backend at linuxfromscratch.org
>
> IPC (interprocess communication): alfs-ipc at linuxfromscratch.org - list not
> used yet, will be used soon now that we have working back-end (well mostly
> working anyways)
>
> More lists (groups) will follow as they 'materialize'

I have to get up to date on the lists.  Since I subscribed, a number of
lists were dropped and a number of lists were added.  I've been having
trouble communicating through the e-mail system at work from home,
lately... long story, as I've insinuated in a few posts lately.  Because
of that, now might be the optimal time to subscribe from a different
address and update my subscriptions...

> > Jesse, damnit, you've got leader oozing from you from what I've seen.
> > Stop beating yourself up over this :)
>
> I have not heard anything from Jesse on that one yet, perhaps I missed an
> email from Jesse or Bryan or whatever's happening on that one. So without
> offending Jesse I'm assuming "leadership" over the ALFS project again. I will
> delegate this 'task' again to somebody as I delegated it to Jesse when ALFS
> was started as soon as I've found a suitable person. I won't just 'hand out'
> the ALFS leadership role to anybody. I need to know that person myself and
> have had some dealings with that person. Bryan and I are there up front now
> taking charge of ALFS and getting things rolling. Some day I will step down a
> step or two because I expect to become rather busy in the future with non-LFS
> work. We'll see about that, perhaps it won't be as busy as it looks. There
> are only a few million factors that the 'business' depend on ;)

hehe, it seems like there's just too much to be done :)... too many
necessary things...

believe me, I can commisserate... I've got my hand in too many cookie
jars these days too... I've been avoiding a few projects that I've
promised people I'd do and it starts to weigh down on me...

In any case, it's a wise decision not to simply hand out a leadership
position.  leadership is not an easy thing to live up to...

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org