add check to see if alfs is called by user root

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Sat Jan 20 04:58:23 PST 2001

On Saturday 20 January 2001 00:21, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 10:15:22AM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > As for packages installed by a regular user:
> >
> > force back-end to be run as root. If a user wants a package to be
> > installed as non-root, add an attribute in the profile's <packagd> tag
> > like the following (just an example may not be a great example):
> >
> > <package name="cdplayer" version="1.0" as_user="gerard">
> > </package>
> >
> > This should cause the back-end to install the package as user 'gerard'.
> > This can be accomplished by having back-end do something similar to "su
> > gerard" before running configure, make and make install.
>
> Yes, this would be nice. We could allow that attribute not only in
> configure and compile part as a normal user, and installation as a root for
> example. That info and user names could be read from the user profile.
>
> All this, of course, if we figure out _how_ to "su gerard". :)
>
> Neven

I don't know if this is a good idea either. :) Why, system profiles/package
profiles, should really be generic. Thats why we keep adding entities to
tags, to make them less "specific". Why are we going to add a as_user=\
to those "generic" system profiles?

I agree we should make some differences, but I don't think it needs to
be in the system profile......

Bryan