add check to see if alfs is called by user root

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 18 07:36:36 PST 2001

We (bryan and me) just had a hard time figuring out why somebody's lfs
installation dind't work. Packages compiled but certain programs didn't get
installed. Turned out those programs are setuid root programs and thus
require user root to install the package. The person was installing LFS as a
regular user.

I'm going to add that note to install LFS as root for best results to the
book. Perhaps it's an idea as well to have the back-end check if it's being
called as user root and if not print a warning that some packages will not
install properly and give the user a choice to contiue or to abort (or
perhaps the back-end can su to root itself by asking root's password and then
doing some magic so it continues with root privs?)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org