annoying directory names

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Jan 15 14:48:09 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:14:56PM +0100, Nicholas Dille wrote:
> so i put that one on hold ... but i ran into the same question
> and solved it by a perl script that extracted the path from
> the archive only if there was a single top-level directory which
> was the same on _all_ lines. otherwise it would fail and require
> some kind of user interaction ...

In one script that I wrote (ALFS profile creator ;), I used "-t" tar option to
do exactly that and that worked very well, but the problem was/is, that it
takes a lot of time with the larger archives. How did you do it?

> would that kind of things be against any of your principles,
> techniques of anything similar?

I don't know if the backend should be that smart?
If not, Bryan has that "user profile" idea which we can use and put package
info (archives, directories) in it. Then all that stuff would be in one place
for easier editing. But anyway, end-user should not do that manually, that
should probably go through the frontend or something like that?

Neven