annoying directory names

Nicholas Dille DarkYeti at gmx.net
Mon Jan 15 14:14:56 PST 2001

> Yes we had went around on the &name; &version; issue
> before, and I guess we should go around again....
>
> Also david brought up <!ENTITY linux "linux-2.4.0.tar.gz">
>
> So umm what should we do here folks...

when alfs had not released any files i actually started on my
own system but when i saw alfs i knew mine was not as sophisticated
so i figured it needed a trash bin ;-)

so i put that one on hold ... but i ran into the same question
and solved it by a perl script that extracted the path from
the archive only if there was a single top-level directory which
was the same on _all_ lines. otherwise it would fail and require
some kind of user interaction ...

would that kind of things be against any of your principles,
techniques of anything similar?

regards
nic.