make install watcher

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 10 13:11:33 PST 2001

> I think that there is a major problem with the find script : He do no see
> if there is a file that is rewritten. I know that some package erase some
> file, and put their file instead. Don't ask what package, I do not
> remember. And if you re install a package over an old one you see nothing.
> ( I can find the name of this package if you have a command that look for
> the same name in all my list-package-file)

It's a personal thing right now. I myself don't care about files being
replaced. All I need is a list of files installed by a package so I can
remove the files when uninstalling a package. If a static bash binary is
replaced by a dynamic bash binary, I still will have /bin/bash in that file
to remove when I want to uninstall.

I therefore think that we don't have to care about files being replaced. It
doesn't make a difference for the uninstall process.

> To change that I use touch to create a file who indicate the time, and I
> use find -newer ... But this is not the correct solution, that there is
> some package that cp file with a wrong time (yes, it's true but I don't
> remember which one, maybe bzip2 ???).

probably man-pages (as well)

--
Gerard Beekmans