make install watcher

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Jan 10 05:58:11 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 10:07:24PM -0500, atark at thepipeline.net wrote:
> After the first find run my system caches mucho info because subsequent
> finds take much less time. Also you can created a "timestamp" file and
> use the cnewer find option and only run it once.  It will pick up
> changed files also, this could be good or bad depending on your personal
> preference.

"timestamp" file is a nice solution. But I don't think we should rely on
"find". It's not even available for the first 4 packages in chroot. And exiting
from it to do the find is not very pretty.
Also, I don't like using external programs that much. We already have more
system commands than we should.

Why not writing a subroutine which will handle this? It would save a time
before installation in a variable and then go through directory structure and
check for newer files. We could add more interesting things in it and it won't
depend on anything.
The only question is how long will this searching last. But I can try writing
something and check it if we don't come up with a better idea.

Neven