Error handling

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Tue Jan 9 03:46:12 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 08:20:08PM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > But in general, that should probably be left for the frontend to do.
> > Backend should just inform it that the error occurred.
>
> As you may have read in the roadmap on alfs site, at the error
> checking/logging phase the backend should not just inform about an error but
> try a couple of known ways to overcome the error (ie: if it comes across
> "-lncurses" not found during static bash, have it check to see if the
> libncurses.a symlink is missing and if so, create it, or have it link iwth
> the libcurses.a file instead (requires a sed-like operation on Makefile)).
> This "known problems+fixes" list will increase at time as we encounter more
> problems so the backend will become smarter. But, in light of being able to
> have more than one backend the backend should remain a simple thing perhaps.
> So that problems+fixes part should be dealt with in some other way.

I see. It seems that I missed that part. :)

It's a great idea BTW. Was it already discussed?
I mean I'm curious about, for example, where will this list be? Part of the
profile or in a separate file/profile? And stuff like that.

Maybe a "common attribute" :

	<config dir="&LFS;&builddir;/bash-2.04" ...
		error="/profile(s)/to/be/executed/if/tag/fails.xml" />

or something similar? Backend won't become any smarter/more complicated like
this. He'll again just follow the profile(s).

Neven