gzip bug

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 8 18:24:05 PST 2001

> Although I think:
>
> 	mv $LFS/usr/bin/gzip $LFS/bin &&
> 	mv $LFS/usr/bin/gunzip $LFS/bin
>
> can be used instead ? But it's the same thing anyway ...

It is yes. The "funny" thing is, that sometimes 'mv' works fine on my end,
sometimes it fails. Other people have reported the same strange behaviour.
The cp thing was just put in place to avoid the possible confusion and stream
of errors to lfs-discuss. Perhaps with newer kernels and ext2 improvements
this problem has disappeared a while ago. I haven't checked into it for a
while and there will still be people with older kernels/whatever else old
that causes this funny-ness, so I'll probably keep it in the book for a
little while longer.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org