gzip bug

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 8 17:16:43 PST 2001

> BTW Gerard, in the book you are also using:
>
>      cp $LFS/usr/bin/gunzip $LFS/usr/bin/gzip $LFS/bin &&
>      rm $LFS/usr/bin/gunzip $LFS/usr/bin/gzip
>
> Is there a reason for that, or if not, is it fixed ?

It's kind of a kludge yes. the gzip installation creates hard links (instead
of symbolic links) and when trying to mv such files the hard links break and
'mv' fails with some error. cp gzip, then symlink the
gunzip/compress/uncompress files and remove the hardlinks and the original
files from $LFS/usr/bin

That overcomes the mv problem. Hope I made sense....

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org