by golly part2

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 3 12:32:37 PST 2001

> Can't you declare an extra entity? If &quote doesn't exist, create it (or
> give it a better name implying it's our own invention)

Something like this:

<!DOCTYPE entities [
<!ENTITY partition "/dev/hda14">
<!ENTITY swap-partition "/dev/hda2">
<!ENTITY LFS "/mnt/lfs2">
<!ENTITY packages_dir "/mnt/lfs/usr/src/sources/">
<!ENTITY arch "i686">
<!ENTITY hostname "lfs">
<!ENTITY quote "\"">
]>

Ok, that escape sequence will probably not work, so perhaps this works better:

<!ENTITY quote [CDATA[' "" ']]">

Or however CDATA's are inserted into ENTITY's. I (kind of) know how to do it
in SGML (not sure off hand though, it has been a long time since I last read
about that) but it's different in XML.  Perhaps you or Neven just know it,
would make it easier. Else I'll get back to it whenver I come across it in
the XML Handbook.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org