About alfs and ircing

Carlos \ Bill Nilton bill at unig2001.com.br
Tue Feb 13 06:45:07 PST 2001

Hello!

I had a talk with Jason, and explained my ideas about creating an ALFS
system that resembles Slackware Linux. I'm not receiving any mails from
this list (I'm subscribed to alfs-discuss and lfs-discuss, the second is
ok... do you know whats happening?), but I read the digest on the site
and seemed that he sent the log of our conversation (he asked me for
it).

It was like:

- Slackware uses an _<package name>.tgz file to have an 'skeleton' of
the directory tree were a software will reside. This provides a place to
put the compiled binaries in.

- We have also a SlackBuild script, that compiles software and puts the
binaries onto the tree provided by the _<package name>.tgz file. Here we
could make tests to determine the processor were Linux will run, and
compile software with its optimization parameters (like -O9
-funroll-loops, etc) (or even take this information from the user and
set it on an environment var).

- This philosophy of Slackware distro is fine, but, in my vision, could
be 'improved' this way:

	o We could use bzip2 rather than gzip. This because I think that is
interesting to have an 'packaging system', even for compiled software.
What if I want to remove a program from my machine? This should be easy,
right? :-) So, the installer of ALFS could build packages after the
compilation process and use them to install the system.

	o We *must* use FHS, even if I'm not a enthusiast of it :-)

- A thing that I love in Slackware, but I don't think that you'll
approve: BSD-style init scripts! :-) They're damn cool and simple,
man...

So, I would like to suggest this 'lay-out' for an ALFS install:

1. Boot an CD with a live linux system (Slackware Linux have one - sorry
by saying a lot about it, but I like that distro :-). This could be an
LFS system on CD, and used like an 'emergency disk' in case of system
error.

2. Help the user to setup a hard disk partitioning and a place to put
software being compiled - the 'compilation partition' (of course we
could not use 'packages' and compile everything directly to system).

3. Compile the software and make packages from its binaries.

4. Install all packages on user's system, and wipe out the 'compilation
partition' contents.

This is my general thinking about a cool ALFS system, and - if my ideas
are of interest - I would like to hear questions from you (even to try
to improve my ideas).

In truth, would be a pleasure for me, if some of my suggestions were
accepted and if I could help on ALFS. I loved this idea since the first
HOWTO! :-)

Cheers!

Blind_Bard.

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org