tag handlers as XML

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Sat Feb 17 10:27:57 PST 2001

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:54:56PM +0000, Bryan Dumm wrote:
> > Please re-read my original message. The code is _not_ XML. It's Perl.
> > But we treat it as XML. And _that_ is bad.
>
> No it was treated as XML to show that a handler could be loaded
> as a XML object. As mentioned we still have both but
>
> how is _this_ "bad"?
>
> And it is too XML, might look like Perl code, but it's XML until it is
> loaded by ALFS.pm, which does that "XML translation <" and then
> the code is "loaded".
>
> How is _this_ "bad"?

If I would have to worry about XML parser errors and other crap while coding
in Perl ... well, I find that bad.

I guess I'll have to repeat myself after all:

I'm OK with Perl code included in profiles and treated like XML there.
That's nice, and useful.

But I'm not OK with that approach in tag handlers. Tag handlers are nothing
but Perl. I don't want to replace every single "<" and other sings into XML.
<regiser_tag> can be replaced with a similar Perl function which would solve
that problem. And we wouldn't loose autoloading.

You said that David is working on exactly that. So I said that "<" is fine
as a temporary solution.

If he's working on that, it means it's going to be changed and it's not going
to stay. That's my definition of temporary.

Neven