tag handlers as XML

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Sat Feb 17 06:19:19 PST 2001

On Saturday 17 February 2001 19:04, you wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 01:36:41PM +0000, Bryan Dumm wrote:
> > I'll fight to keep this functionality in ALFS. You can use the normal
> > autoloader methods and never make a handler that uses XML. But
> > don't deny the rest of us who want such a feature. "it's not
> > going to stay".
>
> Please read this:
>
> <quote>
>
> > btw I think David is making the standard handlers back
> > into normal perl modules. But I would like to keep the
> > XML autoloader code, as it does work.
>
> Hm, then I guess I'll have to wait.
> As I already said, I have no problems with that autoloader code.
>
> </quote>
>
> Now read my second sentence again.
>
> If you have time, please re-read the whole thread.
> I have nothing new to say.

When you use words like

<quote>
The point is -- we can't treat tag handlers as XML. They are not XML, and
the only XML part of them is <register_tag>. That's only one (two) line(s)
and could easily be replaced with the right function that does the same thing.
</quote>

<quote>
You said that David is working on exactly that. So I said that "<" is fine
as a temporary solution.

If he's working on that, it means it's going to be changed and it's not going
to stay. That's my definition of temporary.
</quote>

it sounds to me as if you want to get rid of XML handlers completely.
"not going to stay", "could easily be replaced", etc.....

Bryan