Pkg. version handling in the front end? (was-- RE: linux package)

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Fri Feb 16 00:46:53 PST 2001

>   In fact this really gets me thinking about user vs. 'base' profiles and
> how that would/should work.  Like as in, if there is a conflict between the
> two profiles, which one takes precedence. and is the answer to that
> question always going to be the same?  What would be neat, is that you
> could have the base and user profiles to start with.  With the front end
> doing different things, those changes from there would get added to the
> user profile.  When all the questions end, the user and base profiles get
> merged togeather into a third/final working profile that is the one that
> actually get used.  This way, that hard decision making can be interacting
> with the front end and the user.
>
>   For example:  Say the base profile had listed the 2.4.1 version of the
> kernel, and after starting the process, the FE notes a
> linux-2.4.2pre10.tar.bz2 sitting there in /alfs/lfs-packages.  It flags
> this, and prompts the user what to do with it. The user says yep that's
> what i want and edits the user profile in the FE. And so on, with a few
> changes to where things go, and adding a couple packages at the end.  So,
> then the FE would merge the 2 profiles togeather, and present a list of the
> differeces for review and or last second change.  Sort of a last check
> before the real work starts of ./configure && make && make install.

Yes it does make sense. I guess we will have to add some handlers
to the backend to get it to "discover" such things though. Also with
all the thinking about profiles and their different types, what about this...

<alfs>
     <userprofile>

     <userprofile>
     <security>
      </security>
     <packages>
     </packages>
      <other_profile_ideas_here>
</alfs>

The point being is that seperate profiles could be expressed inside
of that main "profile" just in different xml object sections. Alterations that
needed to occur on the frontend could happen there and be sent, while
I guess other alterations, etc. could happen on the backend based on the
different xml objects in the "profile".

Might confuse us all less?

Bryan