package element design was(Re: linux package)

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Wed Feb 14 17:33:31 PST 2001

> Hello!  I've been pretty busy lately but I've been messing around with
> my own 'Twig code a bit. Here is an example of how I would like to be
> able to write a <package> tag. Basically using defaults that make sense,
> make my profiles look a little less bulky and easier to read.
>
> <package name="bash" version="2.04">
>         <unpack />
>         <config
>                 param1="--with-curses"
>                 param2="--enable-static-link"
>                 param3="--bindir=&LFS;/bin"
>                 param4="--prefix=&LFS;/usr"
>                 param5="--disable-nls"
>         />
>         <make />
>         <make_install />
>         <link dir="&LFS;/bin" source="bash" type="symbolic">sh</link>
>         <cleanup />
> </package>
>
> Note that for now I leave out the <preconfigure> <configure> ...  tags
> as they are not really used yet.  Anyway just some stuff to think
> about.  If come up with some useful modifications I'll post them for
> disscussion before committing anything to CVS.  My ideas may or may not
> fit in with the official ALFS direction.
>
> --Andy

I know the above should be implemented. But there is still good
reason to keep <preconfigure> etc. in our elements, as they do
provide placeholders. Looking @ the ideas discussed recently,
without these additional placeholders, then <package> elements
and their messages, will just be in one big lump in a frontend.

Also as <package> children elements grows in complexity or
amounts of metadata, not having place holders could make the
<package> children elements very confusing.

Bryan