linux package

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Feb 14 17:23:40 PST 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 05:56:41PM -0500, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> Hmm, that brings up two ideas for the wishlist:
>
> The first(hard):  automagicly knowing package version numbers (for when we
> have a true packaging system I'd guess.

This is not hard, it's impossible. :)
We can use package names, open it and read the top level directory or even
grep some files in it, but we can never be 100% sure. How I wish we could ...

> The second(not so hard hopefully):  auto dealing with either gz or bz2
> archives.  That's gota be the most annoying reason to have to go thru the
> whole profile just to check wheather or not a package is correctly in the
> profile as far as that goes. hehe

Agreed. Andy mentioned this once, even said he'd maybe write something,
but we forgot about it.

For now, I could just add a check -- if, for example, <package>.tar.gz
doesn't exist, try unpacking <package>.tar.bz2.
But this would be only a temporary solution. Maybe the user doesn't want to
use the other one.

Also, I don't like the idea of putting just bare package names into the
profiles (without the extensions). They would look a bit confusing (same as
directories for example).

Neven