name/version was(Re: linux package)

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Wed Feb 14 17:21:34 PST 2001

> On February 14, 2001 08:23 pm, Neven Has wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 05:56:41PM -0500, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> > > Hmm, that brings up two ideas for the wishlist:
> > >
> > > The first(hard):  automagicly knowing package version numbers (for when
> > > we have a true packaging system I'd guess.
> >
> > This is not hard, it's impossible. :)
> > We can use package names, open it and read the top level directory or
> > even grep some files in it, but we can never be 100% sure. How I wish we
> > could ...
>
> One could depend on the filename. Sensible tarball names have the version
> in it. But then again one can't trust that scheme either. Take the bind
> package. You download it as bind-src.tar.gz.

After going around and around on this issue, and yes this is
like #1 on the wishlist for everyone, I think we should leave it
as is......

The reasons everyone mentioned is why this problem occurs, and
why we should leave it as the hard coded defaults. No entities, no
guessing games etc.

And considering where we are all @ with ALFS @ the moment, I
think we will have to live with it. The reason why this is happening
is because we do not have frontends @ the moment. This problem
is really not a backend job, and with everyone trying to stuff it into
the backend, we are going down the road with uncertainity.

Now how the frontend deals with this before sending the profile,
I am not sure yet. We might need to add some elements to our
framework for like <discovery> or something? I know some <packages>
would have urls in them for discovery, so I dunno where to go with it.

I really think though any <package> element should have that name
and version in it. Cause without it, dependencies and package management
would be awfully wierd to do.... I dunno what to do about crappy packages
@ all, but we can force a version onto them if we left version= in <package>.

I just really see this as a frontend, auto profile generator function and
not as a backend function.

Bryan