ALFS.pm drawbacks

David Siegel david.siegel at gmx.de
Mon Feb 12 06:40:08 PST 2001

Hi,

Neven wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 04:43:46AM +0100, David Siegel wrote:
> > > It would be nice if we could make it work with some older perl versions,
> > > at least 5.00503, since there are a lot of people still using it.
> >
> > Agreed. I didn't want to introduce another requirement. Just happend...
> > The main problem is Carp::Heavy, right? It's used by croak(). Afaik, croak()
> > isn't new in perl 5.6. I will take a look at the code, but I don't have
> > an old perl around yet.
>
> croak() isn't, but Carp::Heavy is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
> that it's really needed for croak() to work. "use Carp" should be enough.

I thought so, too. But I had problems when something goes wrong during
chroot(). croak() hasn't been used before. That's why Carp::Heavy hasn't been loaded
until this point. But it in chroot() the implicit import fails. I think importing
croak() and perhaps some functions needed by croak() explicit should do it. Perhaps
you can try:

use Carp ( croak, ... );

if you have around perl 5.00503

> May I just suggest something?
> Have you read "linux/Documentation/CodingStyle" ? :) There are a lot of good
> points made there, especially those about indentation. I find code _much_
> easier to read, when tabs are 8 spaces long.
> But please, this is only a suggestion, so don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind
> if it stays like this.

No, I didn't. But I will read it. I changed my CPerl config to 8 spaces

> > btw, is there a reason why fix_text only fixes the first line of the text?
>
> Not really. That's just "minimum" that was needed so we don't have any
> problems with that extra whitspace in some tags.
>
> Your " $text =~ s/(^\s+|\s+$)//gm; " sounds just fine. :)

regex rules!

have fun,
   David