Fwd: I'm sorry

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 10 14:14:28 PST 2001

David, you mailed to alfs-backend-owner instead of alfs-backend
(alfs-backend-owner is an alias to myself)

Subject: I'm sorry
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:27:54 +0100 (CET)
From: David Siegel <david.siegel at gmx.de>
To: alfs-backend-owner at linuxfromscratch.org

Hi backend-owners,

I'm very sorry for the confusion I produced. I did this ALFS.pm stuff
and made some mistakes:

  1. I did not announce my changes to the mailing-list.
     I only mailed a tarball to Neven and Bryan and talked
     to Bryan on irc. I promise this will not happen again.

  2. I forgot a '$self->' in ALFS::Tag::system_command().

  3. The'my' in 'my $name =~ s/.*://;' is a serious bug, too.

I fixed 2. and 3.

The strongest drawback of ALFS.pm is, that it seems to require
perl 5.6. Another one is that it uses eval() heavily. I will
do another rewrite, I think. In the meantime I suggest we switch
back to alfs until ALFS.pm is more stable . What do you think?

Again: I'm very sorry if I messed up your work.
  /me slaps himself with the how-to-develop-software-
  with-other-ppl-book(tm)

But I tested ALFS.pm and used the latest code from cvs.

   David

Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org