alfs 1.4 and perl 5.005_03

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Fri Feb 9 07:13:41 PST 2001

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 02:16:36AM +0100, Nicholas Dille wrote:
> hm. now it complains about File/Spec/Functions.pm which i certainly do not
> have. I found File/Spec/* but nothing like the above :-(
>
> and after removing that i get another error. the following line is not
> accepted by perl 5.005_03 "my $name=~ s/.*://;" in line 371
> from my experience with perl it would have thought that it won't work but
> perl 5.6.0 seems to be rather friendly ... don't know whether i like that

Short answer -- for this particular case, you could just remove "my" keyword
from that line, but it's pointless, see long answer.

Long answer -- the code is broken, see below.

> > I'm not sure why it's there.
>
> hm. that's not too reassuring, is it? ;-)

Actually the whole code that's in CVS right now is not very reassuring. :/

Believe me, the first time I tried the new code and even found out it's there
is yesterday, after your message, when I realized that "something is wrong".
But I guess that's my fault, I should check it a bit more often.

There are a lot of "simple" and "not so simple" errors and typos which is what
bothers me -- it seems that it hasn't been tested _not once_. Also, it looks
like it hasn't been merged with _latest_ code that was in CVS before ?

Neven